Monday, May 1, 2017

Kindle Unlimited

I've decided to give Kindle Unlimited a try on a limited basis. For those of you who don't know, that's a program where Amazon customers with a Prime subscription can read books published to the Kindle without having to buy them. You'll be able to either purchase them to own as before (without needing Prime), or just borrow them. I'll still be paid in either case, either for pages read that way, or traditional sales.

I'm hoping this situation is win/win: I would like to reach a wider audience both because I hope people like my work, and because this is technically a job to me. While money is not my primary motivation in writing erotica, I have to make sure I can afford to spend the time it takes. 

The down side of this is that Amazon requires an exclusive deal for any participating title. As long as a title is available on Kindle Unlimited, it can't be sold anywhere else. There's also a three month period of exclusivity after removing a title from the program, so if I don't like the results, there'll be a brief waiting period before I can change my mind about it. 

I'm not going to switch everything over right away, as I have 50 individual titles and only so much time for this. Plus, I'm not sure this will work out. 

This morning, what I've done is take the Doll Academy series and Beta Tested books off of Smashwords and Nook. Next Monday, after those books are no longer available at the laundry list of places Smashwords goes to, I'm going to submit them for inclusion in Amazon's program. (I'm really anxious to move forward, but I have to give vendors time to pull the titles.)

If that goes well - no hitches or complaints from Amazon - I'm going to pick through my catalog and move more stuff over in batches. Not everything will switch, as some of my content is a little risque for Amazon anyway. (Most recently, Hot & Swappable was too dirty for them.)

If it goes poorly, well... lesson learned, and I'll just keep doing what I've been doing. 

I will post again to keep you all updated. Right now, I just wanted to give everybody a heads-up, as this would be a pretty big change in how I do things, and that's 5 titles that have been made less accessible this week. I will continue to offer updates about progress here as I take further steps either toward this, or to change stuff back.

I also wanted to let everybody know that I do have a couple more stories in process right now. I'm sorry that I'm so much slower these days. 

Thanks again for reading. I firmly believe the idea that anything worth doing is worth doing for an audience. ;)

- Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment