Friday, May 19, 2017

Kindle Saga, Part 3

So, I've had all week to look at this, and am course correcting slightly.

Here's where I'm at right now:
  • I've dropped Nook for the time being.
I never did very well there, and I was having some issues on the back end anyway, so I went ahead and pulled my catalog from Nook. I apologize in advance for any difficulties that may cause. I will admit it was probably happening even without the other changes I've made here.

  • Some of you did still want to buy stuff away from Amazon.
So far, I've only had the one complaint about that, but I respect the issue. Some of you have to share your Amazon accounts with people and want to keep your kink on the down-low. I hadn't really thought about that, and that's my fault.

Sorry, folks. :(

I would like to keep you as readers. So instead of only offering new content on Amazon KDP, I will post stuff to Smashwords for a limited time. I figure 2-4 weeks should be fine - almost all my sales of a new book on Smashwords occur in that window, and anybody who would like to keep up with my latest stuff can just sign up for Smashwords Alerts.

I'll post Ready For Business Use there at a later time - it's a three month wait after removing it from KDP Select before I can do that, and I'm not ready to pull it until I have more content over there. (I'm juggling a lot right now.) However, I will make it available away from Amazon at a later date, and I will post a half off coupon here to make up for my mistake.

My next book, which I am currently working on the first chapter of, will be available in this way: Smashwords + Amazon, then retired to just Amazon after the first month.

  • I am moving more old titles to KU.
Conversely, I am seeing a fair number of pages read at Kindle Unlimited. Like I said above, most of my sales on Smashwords are pretty early in - people see the book, get excited, buy it, move on to someone else's book. Cycle of life, you know? There's always something new to read, and people like me make most of our money when titles are brand new.

In the spirit of that - and as I mentioned in a prior post - I'm beginning to pull old titles off Smashwords in order to make them available for readers on KU in batches. This afternoon, I pulled the following titles:

A Tough Act to Swallow 
Always On Her Mind
Doll On Call
Jacked & Jilled: Stories of Stolen Slaves 
On All Fours 
Rapt for Christmas 
Rear in the Window 
Secondhand Slave 
Shared With His Permission
Stripped & Wired 
Two for One: A Breeder Recruited 

I'll check and make sure they're clear for KU next week, post them, and move on to some more titles.

I hope these arrangements will better serve all of you. 

With that out of the way, I'm back to work. I want something new out soon. Thanks again for checking in with me. I appreciate you. :)

3 comments:

  1. I am one of those people who have bought various pieces of erotic fiction on Amazon. The account is shared with my wife but she's not bothered about what I read. I can understand that some people value their privacy and although Amazon have a 'hide order' feature, in order to have true privacy setting up a new account and getting a pre-loaded credit card seems like the most sensible option.

    Personally, I prefer to buy my books on Smashwords as I hate the Kindle ecosystem. With Smashwords I can download the story in epub or PDF form and read it on my phone using Aldiko or in a simple PDF reader on my computer.

    Anyway, I wish you the very best with your new endeavour! It sounds like a very exciting, if stressful time for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the feedback. I am - as you have noted before - a bit of a social media shut-in, which leaves me woefully out of touch with how everybody is doing stuff sometimes.

      Beyond customer response, I'll admit I'm easily swayed because I really just *like* working with Smashwords. They're the easiest vendor to publish through, period. Amazon makes me nervous on a number of scores.

      Delete
    2. D'oh, hit Publish too fast, (famous last words as an author!), meant to thank you for your kind wishes. I really appreciate your support over the years. Even been a topic of discussion with my editor a time or two. :)

      Delete