Thursday, June 8, 2017

Kindle Saga, Part 5 + Beta Tested Prequel

So, I was wrong about one key detail here: Kindle Unlimited isn't included with Amazon Prime. My bad - I don't use either, and should've read that more closely. This is what happens when I do stuff in a distracted way. I apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused any of you.

In the meantime, I have written a prequel to Beta Tested - I was speaking with someone about the implausibility of Mitch's super genius, and got to thinking about why he's so smart. Naturally, this led to writing about it a bit. (There's also a little backstory concerning his financial backers.)

Anyway, here it is:


Excerpt:
“Right now,” Mitch said, “Your brain is completely conscious. You’re awake. NINA is just intercepting the signals your brain would send your body. Instead of moving my arm out there,” he waved his arm, “I’m moving my arm in here. In the training mode, it pushes you into an altered mental state, one where your brain is much more receptive to new information. It skips past your conscious ability to filter what it’s told and just adds facts to your subconscious.” 
Receptive. 
Skips Past. 
I wasn’t sure why that sounded so good, but I pushed it aside and asked, “So it programs us?” 
“Right!” Mitch nodded and smiled, “It hypnotizes the user to get their brain into the correct theta brain wave state, then it supplies information. Memory retention is phenomenal. What we’re doing now is like a lecture, but your Lessons program your brain almost like a computer.” 
Hypnotized. 
Program My Brain. 
I could feel my cheeks burn, and wondered if the game rendered that sort of detail as readily as my arm moving. Maybe Mitch couldn’t tell that all of this was turning me on. I hoped not. My fingers clenched reflexively at nothing, and I wanted him to put me under even more. At the same time, a little voice in the corner of my mind was very insistent that I needed to push back: 
I Must Not Submit To Hypnosis. 
The thought was very clear to me, but I couldn’t say why. I’d never seen someone hypnotized except on TV. All the same, I felt very clear about that. I asked, “So you can make me think I’m a cow or chicken or something?” 
Mitch swiveled in the chair and looked up at me. He said, “You know I would never do anything like that. You know you can trust me. I’m your Teacher.” 
Trust Him. 
My Teacher. 
I could hear the words echo in my brain, in Mitch’s voice. My mouth opened before I could think about it again, “Trust… you…” I blinked and asked, “What are you doing to us?”
As promised, this book will be available for at least four weeks via Smashwords. I'm also offering a coupon for 50% off there through June 15th: BY98H to help make up for all the shuffling I've been doing, and to thank you for checking up on this blog. 

Hope you all like it, and I hope you're all having a good summer. :)


27 comments:

  1. I've been out of the loop for a while but I bought your story before I went on holiday and now I'm back. I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally spaced on replying to this here, since you e-mailed. Sorry about that. Thanks so much for your kind words! :)

      Delete
  2. May I ask, do you accept requests or commissions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm flattered to be asked!

      That said, I'm afraid that I don't normally do either. Commissions are out of the question due to my erratic schedule - I can't guarantee when I have time to write, and without the ability to guarantee timely results, I just can't do that.

      Requests are more... well, this is my kink as much as it is my work, so I only write stuff that appeals to me personally. It's hard to know if someone else's pitch would do that in advance.

      If you want to drop me a line via e-mail, (a throwaway account is fine!), I'll at least hear out your idea though, see if it's my speed.

      Delete
  3. Someone necessarily help to make critically posts I might
    state. That is the very first time I frequented your website
    page and up to now? I amazed with the research you made to make this
    particular submit amazing. Wonderful process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind words! :)

    Also, I'm sorry that I've been gone awhile. Life's been very busy. I have been toying with some new projects, and hope to have more material here in the near future. I really miss this work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger.
    I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post.
    Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! :)

    I'll get something else together as quickly as life permits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a topic that's close to my heart... Cheers!
    Exactly where are your contact details though?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My e-mail's just this pen name with a period separating first and last, over at gmail.

    As a warning, I'm not checking my e-mail as often as I should right now either, but I'm also hoping that clears up soon. Just haven't had much time for writing the past year or so due to various unrelated RL concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent site you have here but I was curious if you knew of any
    community forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article?

    I'd really like to be a part of group where I can get comments from other experienced
    individuals that share the same interest.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I haven't had much time for this in awhile, sorry. But thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  10. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post!
    It's the little changes which will make the most important changes.
    Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am in fact pleassant to read all at one place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is really a nice and helpful piece of info. I'm happy
    that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My family all the time say that I am wasting my time here at net,
    however I know I am getting familiarity daily by reading
    such pleasant posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog that's both educative and amusing, and let me tell
    you, you have hit the nail on the head. The issue
    is something not enough people are speaking intelligently about.

    Now i'm very happy I stumbled across this during my hunt for something regarding this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know if it's just me or if perhaps everybody
    else experiencing issues with your site. It looks like some
    of the written text in your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and
    let me know if this is happening to them as well?
    This could be a issue with my web browser because I've had this happen previously.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. Yeah, no issues with text on my end in Chrome.

      Delete
  16. Hi Dear, are you in fact visiting this site regularly, if so then you will absolutely
    get nice knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Greate pieces. Keep posting such kind of info on your page.
    Im really impressed by your site.
    Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it
    and individually recommend to my friends. I am confident they'll be benefited from this website.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You can definitely see your expertise in the work you write.
    The world hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe.

    Always go after your heart.

    ReplyDelete