Saturday, July 18, 2015

A Hard Bargain Driven

Here's a look at my latest offering:


And an excerpt of the text:
“Oh,” the doctor glanced at my hand, “The ring will need to come off too.”
I looked down at my wedding ring, white gold with a two carat diamond. I knew that I should care about letting it out of my sight. For the past five years, I’d worn it almost nonstop, and never had it out of arm’s reach. Beyond that, it had cost about six grand altogether - Greg had had a very good year, before he proposed to me. It was tasteful, it was lovely. Objectively, her request should have been a big deal. 
All the same, trying to be concerned was like leaning on empty space. I just couldn’t muster the slightest dismay. After a moment’s hesitation, I slipped it off and dropped it in the bin, atop my sweaty nightie, and said, “Right.”
I didn’t bother to ask if I’d see it again. It was part of my old life.
The doctor smiled at me and said, “That’s very good compliance.” She offered Nathan a sidelong glance and asked, “Did she really get this far on just two months of conditioning? I mean, I know you’re good, but that’s very impressive.”
“Conditioning? Like… we’re talking about my hair, right?” I blinked in confusion. I felt a strange tingling sensation at the word. Despite the question I was pretty sure that they weren’t talking about my hair care.
“Actually,” Nathan said, “It was only six weeks. Tina here is a complete natural, one of the best subjects I’ve ever encountered on an assignment.” He smiled at me and said, “We’re just talking about how receptive your mind is to hypnotic programming. What can you tell the good doctor about your experience with hypnosis, Tina?”
‹Receptive.›
‹Hypnotic programming.›
“I have no experience with hypnosis, Sir.” The words fell out of my mouth, completely automatic. Hearing them made me feel muddled though. On the one hand, I knew what I said was true: I had never been closer to a hypnotist than watching a stage show on TV. On the other hand, I had the intense sensation that I’d forgotten something important, the sort of feeling I might get if I left the oven on, or left my keys at work. The more I tried to focus on it, the more slippery it felt.
It's already available on Smashwords, and will soon be posted to both Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Hope you like it, and are enjoying your summers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment